Every few years, a new technology appears and rocks the vaping industry to its core – and recently, the biggest technology in the vaping industry has undoubtedly been the mesh vape coil. Whether you’re shopping for a new vape tank or just reading reviews of the latest vape gear, there’s no escaping the fact that you’re going to see mesh coils referenced constantly online. So, what are mesh coils, and what are their benefits? Should your next vape tank or pod system have a mesh coil?
If you’re looking for a short answer, we love mesh coils here at Innokin and are using them in most of our latest vape tanks. Mesh coils are absolutely perfect for almost every vaping scenario, and we’re certain that you’re going to love owning a mesh coil tank. If you’re looking for a bit more detail than that, though, we’ve got you covered. Read on to become a mesh vape coil expert!
What Are Mesh Coils?
To understand what a mesh coil is, it’s important to have a basic understanding of how traditional vape coils work. Before mesh coils were developed, all vape coils worked in essentially the same way. In a traditional vape coil, the component that vaporized the e-liquid was a heating wire that was wound into a spiral shape. People used the term “atomizer coil” because the heating wire actually was a coil.
Mesh coils are different because they’re not made from wires at all. Instead, a mesh coil uses a mesh strip that looks a bit like a window screen. The strip is usually wound into a tight cylinder and installed vertically to provide for smooth airflow. In some cases, a high-end mesh vape coil may use multiple mesh strips working in tandem to provide for greater vapor production. That’s the only difference between a mesh coil and a traditional vape coil: The heating surface is made from a strip of mesh rather than a length of twisted wire.
The difference for you as a user, though, is likely to be quite profound.
Why Were Mesh Vape Coils Invented?
Mesh coils were invented because traditional vape coils had reached a point at which they could no longer improve in performance without causing serious drawbacks. People who buy high-end vape tanks want huge vapor clouds and bold flavors, and the way to make a vape coil that delivers those things is by increasing the coil’s surface area. With traditional vape coils, you can increase the surface area by using larger wire gauges and by adding additional wires. The industry had reached a point, though, where the best vape coils required around 100 watts of power to operate efficiently and didn’t deliver a great experience because they tended to pop loudly or spit e-liquid into the mouth during use. It was clear that a completely different type of vape coil was going to be necessary in order to keep the cloud chasers of the world happy. The mesh coil turned out to be the technological revolution that the vaping industry needed.
What Are the Benefits of Mesh Coils?
Compared to traditional vape coils, mesh coils have two important benefits. They offer better wick-to-wire contact, and they offer a greater surface area for the mass. Let’s examine how those two benefits affect your vaping experience in practice.
- Compared to a traditional wound vape coil, a mesh coil has a much flatter profile. That allows it to make firm and even contact with the wick, leaving no areas where e-liquid can condense and form pools. Mesh coils are nearly silent during operation and do not tend to pop or spit as traditional vape coils sometimes can. Because mesh coils heat so evenly, they also often last longer than traditional coils.
- A mesh coil has a high surface area – which is exactly what you want for cloud production – but it’s also extremely thin and light. The low mass allows a mesh coil to produce huge vapor clouds despite having very reasonable wattage requirements. Using a mesh coil tank makes it possible for a single-battery vape mod to have the same vapor production that would have previously required a dual-battery mod. Switching to a tank with a mesh coil will also usually improve your mod’s battery life.
Do Mesh Coils Have Any Drawbacks?
Most people who try mesh vape coils are going to find that they’re unquestionably better than traditional coils and that they effectively render the old style of coils obsolete. There are two potential reasons, though, why some vapers may continue to prefer traditional vape coils.
- A mesh coil produces vapor with very small and consistent droplet size, so the vapor will feel somewhat “dry” in your mouth compared to the vapor produced by a high-end traditional coil. If you enjoy vapor with larger droplet size and a “wetter” character, you may prefer traditional wound vape coils.
- Because mesh coils produce such large vapor clouds, you may find the experience overwhelming if you use a mesh coil with an e-liquid that has a very high nicotine strength. You can counteract that effect by using a lower-nicotine e-liquid – but if you’re happy with the higher strength you’re currently using, a mesh coil may not be right for you.
What Are the Best Mesh Coil Vape Tanks?
Here at Innokin, we’ve always worked hard to remain at the forefront of vaping technology. The vaping community demands a wide selection of mesh coil tanks, and we’re happy to deliver exactly that. We’ve also developed some of our own technological innovations that we’d like to describe here.
- Innokin Plex: If you want to experience the biggest clouds and tastiest flavors that your vaping device can deliver, the Innokin Plex is the tank that you want. For this tank, we developed a new type of heating surface that we call the Plex3D coil. In this coil, the heating surface has a three-dimensional texture that increases the surface area compared to other mesh coils and allows the Innokin Plex to deliver incredibly bold and striking flavors. The coil also uses a wick made from a blend of cotton and wood pulp for improved e-liquid saturation and extra durability.
- Innokin GoMax: This tank is the perfect answer if you don’t like the maintenance aspect of owning a vape tank. For some people, the need to keep a vape tank clean and replace the coil periodically seriously hampers the enjoyment of vaping. If that’s the way you feel, you’ll love using the Innokin GoMax instead of a traditional tank because it’s disposable – the tank’s outer enclosure is even made from recyclable plastic. Using this tank, however, doesn’t mean that you’ll need to compromise the quality of your vaping experience. The Innokin GoMax uses the same Plex3D mesh coil technology as the Plex tank.
- Innokin Zenith II: If you haven’t introduced yourself to mesh coils yet and aren’t completely certain what you want from your vaping experience, the Innokin Zenith II is the perfect choice because it works with our full selection of Z coils – including the 0.48-ohm Plex3D coil, which uses the same Plex3D mesh coil technology mentioned above. If you decide that mesh coils aren’t for you, though, the Z coil range also includes plenty of selections for those who prefer traditional vape coils. The Innokin Zenith II has an ample variety of airflow settings and can provide anything from a cigarette-like mouth-to-lung hit to a great restricted direct-to-lung vaping experience.
What Are the Best Mesh Coil Pod Systems?
Mesh coils aren’t just for people who use traditional vape tanks. Many of today’s vapers are pod system users who aren’t interested in traditional tanks at all. If you want to use a pod system that provides great vapor production, you’ll be glad to know that we now offer several mesh coil pod systems here at Innokin.
- Innokin Sensis: This is the device that you want to own if you’re a fan of bleeding-edge vape technology. The most important new technology introduced with the Sensis series is the new FØ vaping mode, which replaces the traditional direct current power delivery of most vaping devices with a new alternating current mode that allows the flavors of your favorite e-liquids to project more accurately than ever. You’ll love our new 0.25-ohm S-coil, which uses a wick made from a blend of cotton and seaweed fiber for extra durability.
- Innokin Kroma Z: If you want to experience our amazing series of Z coils but want to do so with a device that can still go everywhere with you and fit comfortably in any pocket, the Innokin Kroma Z is the best mesh coil pod system for you. This device features a lightweight magnesium alloy body and a simple control scheme. It also adapts itself easily to suit any vaping style.
- Innokin Sceptre: This is the ideal vaping device to buy if you’re a less experienced vaper but are still interested in buying a new pod system that can provide a substantial upgrade from what you’re currently using. The Innokin Sceptre has a pod with fully adjustable airflow, and you can adapt it for mouth-to-lung or direct-to-lung vaping simply by changing the coil. The mouth-to-lung coil uses a wound wire to provide a traditional vaping experience, and the direct-to-lung coil has a 0.5-ohm mesh heating surface for bigger clouds and bolder flavors.