There’s a reason why many of the most popular vaping devices on the market are vape pens. It’s because vape pens offer a perfect balance between size and performance. Some vape pens are about the same size as small cigars, which is dramatically smaller than full-sized vape mods. Because they’re larger than the disposable vapes and other small vaping devices that you can buy in convenience stores, though, they offer significantly better vapor production and battery life than those entry-level vaping products.
In other words, if you want a vaping device that’s going to provide the same satisfaction as a cigarette while still fitting comfortably in your pocket, you’ve got to buy a vape pen – and in this article, we’re going to provide a little Vaping 101 session to help you with your first purchase. If you’re looking for a simple guide that’ll teach you how to use a vape pen, you’re in the right place. We’re about to teach you how to vape. First, though, what should you do if you’re not sure which vape pen is the right fit for you?
What Are the Best Vape Pens on the Market?
Are you looking for a guide that explains how to use a vape pen because you’re currently using a simpler vaping device – such as a disposable vape – and you’re trying to decide whether you should upgrade to a full-fledged vape kit? If you haven’t selected your next vaping device yet, allow us to offer some help. These are the most popular vape pens for newer vapers that we manufacture here at Innokin.
- Innokin MVP Pod: This is our latest and greatest small pod-based vape pen. It features two selectable power levels along with smooth, refined airflow characteristics and support for both button- and draw-activated firing. If you enjoy gadgets that look great, we think you’ll love the ultra-modern design of the MVP Pod.
- Innokin Endura T18X: This is the latest product in one of the world’s longest-running lines of vape pens, and the thing that makes Endura vape pens so famous is the flavor quality of our amazing Prism coil. The Endura T18X is a wonderful choice for flavor chasers.
- Innokin EQ FLTR: This is a completely unique vape pen designed for vapers who may occasionally miss the soft mouthfeel of tobacco cigarettes. When you use this vape pen with a soft biodegradable filter tip, you’re going to experience a level of authenticity that no other vaping device can match.
- Innokin I.O: This is the smallest and simplest vaping device in our lineup of vape pens. Just charge the device, fill the pod and puff to vape. If you want a vape pen that’s convenient and discreet, you’ll love the performance of this incredibly tiny device.
How to Charge a Vape Pen
A vape pen will always come with a USB charging cable. To charge the device, simply connect it to your computer and wait for the device’s indicator light to turn off or change color. When the light changes, the vape pen is fully charged.
How to Fill a Pod-Based Vape Pen
You might have noticed that three of the four vape pens we recommended above store their e-liquid in removable pods rather than traditional vape tanks. That’s the way the entire vaping industry is moving these days; pod-based vape pens are some of the most popular vaping devices on the market. To fill a pod-based vape pen, you’ll start by pulling the pod out of the device. Look for a filling hole covered with a silicone stopper on the side or bottom of the pod. Remove the stopper and add e-liquid through the hole until the pod is nearly full. Replace the stopper and put the pod back into the device.
How to Fill a Tank-Based Vape Pen
If you have a device such as the Innokin Endura T18X, you have a tank-based vape pen. Like most modern vape tanks, the Endura T18X has a top-filling design that allows you to fill the tank without removing it from the device. Twist off the tank’s top hardware and add your e-liquid to the outer portion of the tank, being careful to avoid getting e-liquid inside the center air channel. Replace the top hardware after filling the tank.
How to Use a Vape Pen
After filling your vape pen and waiting a few minutes to ensure that the wick is completely saturated with e-liquid, you’re ready to start vaping. If you have a button-activated vape pen, you may need to turn the device on. With most vape pens, you’ll do that by pressing the activation button five times quickly. The device’s light will probably blink in response. If you have a draw-activated vape pen, you can vape simply by puffing – and if you have a button-activated vape pen, you’ll vape by puffing while holding down the button. If you have a dual-mode device like the Innokin MVP Pod, you can vape with or without the button – it’s up to you.
The most important thing to remember as you learn how to use a vape pen is that you shouldn’t inhale as firmly as you would when smoking a cigarette. A small vaping device always works best when you use gentle air pressure. If you puff too firmly, you’ll end up getting e-liquid in your mouth.
How to Replace the Coil in a Vape Pen
The atomizer coil in a vaping device is subjected to constant heat stress when you vape, and it has a finite life. Depending on how frequently you vape and what type of e-liquid you use, you can expect your vape pen’s atomizer coil to last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks before it requires replacement. When you’re no longer happy with your vape pen’s flavor quality, it’s time for a new coil. There are three different ways to replace the coil in a vape pen, and the method that you’ll need to use depends on your device’s design.
- If you use a pod-based vape pen in which the coil is a permanent part of the pod, you’ll replace the coil by replacing the entire pod. The Innokin MVP Pod and Innokin I.O function in this way.
- If you use a pod-based vape pen with a replaceable atomizer coil, you’ll replace the coil by removing the pod from the device and pulling or unscrewing the coil from the bottom of the pod. Screw in or push in a new coil and refill the pod. The Innokin EQ FLTR functions in this way.
- If you use a tank-based vape pen, you’ll replace the coil by removing the tank from the device. Unscrew the tank’s bottom hardware. In the case of the Innokin Endura T18X, you’ll pull the old coil out of the tank and push in a new coil before replacing the tank’s bottom hardware. With some other tanks, you’ll find that the coil is connected to the tank’s bottom hardware. Unscrew the old coil and screw in a new one before reassembling the tank.
How to Fix Problems with Your Vape Pen
If your vape pen isn’t performing as you expect, we’ve got the help that you need. In this section of our guide on how to use a vape pen, we’ll cover some of the problems that you might experience as you learn how to use your new device.
Fix a Vape Pen That’s Not Charging
If your vape pen isn’t charging, the most likely reason is because the USB cable is damaged. It’s very common for USB cables to develop hardware faults when they’re used constantly. Try a different cable and see if that fixes the issue. Remember that you should always charge a vape pen by connecting it to your computer. Don’t use a high-speed wall charger for a smartphone to charge a vaping device.
Fix a Vape Pen That’s Not Hitting
If your vape pen isn’t hitting, first make sure that the battery is fully charged and confirm that the device is turned on by pressing the fire button five times quickly. If the device still isn’t hitting, it’s possible that the installed pod or atomizer coil has a structural problem or that your vape pen isn’t detecting it. Try replacing the pod or coil.
Fix Weak Hits with a Vape Pen
Is your vape pen giving you weak hits? That’s why we gave the Innokin MVP Pod two different power levels. Tap the activation button to toggle between the device’s 11-watt (green) and 12.5-watt (red) modes. If your device doesn’t have adjustable power, you might want to consider increasing the nicotine strength of your e-liquid for a more intense experience. Also, you should remember that some vape juice flavors produce a stronger throat hit than others. Fruit-and-ice e-liquids, for instance, produce very little throat hit, while tobacco e-liquids tend to be a bit stronger.
Fix a Burned Taste with a Vape Pen
If you experience a burned taste when using a vape pen, make sure that your pod or tank isn’t empty. If the tank has plenty of e-liquid left, make sure that you’re waiting at least a few seconds after each puff to give your device’s atomizer coil sufficient time to replenish itself with vape juice. If the burned taste persists, it’s time to replace your pod or atomizer coil.